Sunday, September 9, 2012

Make A Move Monday: Beating Exhaustion


I have been SO tired the last couple of weeks.  I have had to lie down in the afternoon just to make it through the day.  (Thankfully I inherited the “Power Nap” gene that runs from my grandpa on my mom’s side.  10-20 minutes of sleep midday can really help me get by!) I don’t think that it has been any one thing that caused this exhaustion but life accumulating… stress (which usually equals insomnia for me), a small virus taking turns in the kids, and making too many excuses to eat poorly.  This week I am going to kick into gear and get back on track.  Here is the plan:

·         Drink water.  There is no new information here.  Water is best.  The great news is that it is okay to use herbal teas for a little added flavor.  My goal will be between 60-70 ounces of water a day.  (Whoa!  That is a lot!)

·         Eat protein with breakfast.  This will probably mean eggs for me.   I like them, and they are cheap and easy.  Protein in the morning is great for the metabolism.

·         Be picky with my grains.  I am not a fan of carb-free, gluten-free or grain-free without a medical reason.  The latest craze seems to be the thought that everyone should eliminate all grains from their diets to be happy and healthy.  (I could write a post on why I don’t think that is true, but not today.  I am too tired, remember?)  Grains are generally cheap, easy and tasty, and I have a tendency to get full on fluffy pancakes or killer biscuits and not get enough greens.  Setting limits for myself will be a good thing.

·         Stick with my schedule.  “Early to bed, early to rise they” is how our household operates best.  Staying up until 11:00 watching Netfilx with my husband the past few weeks has been fun, but then I am waiting until 6:30 to get up.  Then there is not enough time to work out, shower and read my Bible.  These are 3 highly stabilizing activities that I should not cut from my day.  In bed by 10 and up by 5:45.  I can do this. 

·         Cut the sugar.  This week was my birthday.  I did not just celebrate one day, I but began the weekend before and kept on celebrating until two pans of bars were consumed!  (Not all by me, but I ate more than my share!)   Sugar has given me a quick pick me up this week, but the crash afterward has not been pretty!

That is my move this Monday.   What is yours?  How do you recharge after life happens?  I would love any tips!  It is time to link up. What move are you making toward health in your home. Please read through the rules for those participating, and thanks for your participation.

1) No linking to giveaways or promotions for affiliates or sponsors. Give aways and promos are great, but they expire. I will delete giveaway links or promotional links.
2) Keep things simple and healthy. Avoid recipes with "cream of x soup," processed cheese or corn syrup. Crafts are cool, but unless they help organize or simplify please don't link them.
3) Link back to SimplyMadeHome.This is common blog party courtesy. It also helps build the community of encouragement. Check out other’s posts and leave a comment! It is fun to hear from others.
How to link up to your post? Read below.
Using the Mr. Linky, link back to your specific post, not just your blog.
Example of Format
Your Name: Tara @ SimplyMadeHome (Simple Vinegar Switches)
Your Link:
http://simplymadehome.blogspot.com/2012/03/simple-vinegar-switches.html


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting! I left the Salsa Verde recipe - have a great week! Heather at http://www.muffindiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! {Mine was last week too!} Getting to bed on time is crucial for me, and it is the hardest for me to stick too!

    Eating more protein and drinking more water are steps I need to take as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tara! You are such an inspiration! You do so many things and do them well! I believe you will be able to stick with your plan because your body needs to! I like what you said about grains! They are important for the body! Too many recipes for gluten free on the web! Sometimes I can hardly find one with gluten!

    I too, have cut a lot of sugar from my diet, but I still indulge sometimes! I really don't like to consume that much sugar anymore! But chocolate is my weakness! You have an adorable family that God has blessed you with! Thanks for visiting my blog! Come back soon! Happy late birthday! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, sticking to a sleeping schedule is something I need to work on again too (especially since I'm up past 11:30 right now......) And happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete